Refugee Cash Assistance

About Refugee Cash Assistance Ι 732-357-0590 Ι

RCA is a program offered under the umbrella of our Refugee Support Services that provides eligible refugees with financial assistance for a maximum of 12 months after arriving in the United States or being released from immigration detention. RCA is available to any refugee, asylee or parolee that is single or married without minor children and is eligible for RSS services. Once connected with our agency and approved, you’ll begin receiving funds starting from the date of initial contact with our agency. 

Immigrants make America greatThe goal of the RCA team is to assist with the first year of arrival to the US and to help equip clients with the skills they need to find employment, or other means of income, and become independent. As such, our program has requirements and monthly redeterminations in employment services, government assistance and English language classes that will help prepare clients for their future in the US. None of our process is done alone – with the help of an assigned case manager, any questions or concerns you may have will only be a phone call or email away.

Eligibility:  You MUST be an established I-RISE client before you can be assessed for RCA.  Please call 732-357-0590 or email 

Do I qualify for RCA?

    • You must qualify for Refugee Support Services (RSS)
    • Available to anyone enrolled in RSS that is either Single or Married, (domestic partners included) that has no dependent children (17 and under)

What can I/should I bring on the day of appointment?

Please refer to the Refugee, CHE or Asylee information below for required documents

RCA FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)


Do I qualify as a Refugee?

A refugee is any person who is outside their country of nationality or, is outside of the country of their last residence, who is unable or unwilling to return to their country, and is unable or unwilling to avail themselves of the protection of that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of:

    • Race
    • Religion 
    • Nationality
    • Membership of a particular social group
    • Political opinion

World GlobeRefugees are eligible to receive ORR (Office of Refugee Resettlement) benefits and services from their date of arrival in the U.S

What can I/should I bring on the day of appointment?

    • I-94 Arrival/departure card
    • I-766 Employment Authorization Document with the code A03 
    • DHS Form I-571 

Cuban/Haitian Entrants

Do I qualify as a Cuban/Haitian Entrant?

You may qualify as a Cuban/Haitian Entrant if you are a Cuban or Haitian national that is:

    • granted parole as a Cuban/Haitian Entrant  
    • in removal proceedings
    • with an application for asylum pending

What can I/should I bring on the day of appointment?

Proof of your eligibility as a Cuban/Haitian Entrant and the date you received it

Types of proof include: 

    • an I-94 (DHS Arrival/Departure Record) noting parole
    • a DHS form indicating a Notice to Appear, Order of Release on Recognizance, or other removal proceedings form 
    • a form from an immigration judge or USCIS showing pending application for asylum
    • an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with selected codes
    • other documentation issued by the federal government indicating that you are eligible
    • Any piece of mail from your current place of residence (does not need to include your name) (Used to ensure accuracy of Mailing Address)

CHE’s can qualify for 3 types of cash assistance: SSI, TANF or RCA

You will have to choose the program that you feel is best for you.  You can only be enrolled in one program at a time, and may not qualify for all of them


Do I qualify as an asylee?

An asylee is a person who has fled his or her country and is unable or unwilling to return due to persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution based on:

    • race
    • religion
    • nationality 
    • political opinion
    • membership in a social group. 

An individual is granted asylum either by:

    • immigration court of the U.S. Department of Justice
    • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

What can I/should I bring on the day of appointment?

You should bring proof of your status and the date you received that status. Proof of status can include:

    • The Order of an Immigration Judge Granting Asylum
    • An asylum approval letter from a USCIS Asylum Office
    • An Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with the code for asylee.
    • Any piece of mail from your current place of residence (does not need to include your name) (Used to ensure Mailing Address)

Asylees can qualify for 2 types of cash assistance: RCA or MG. You cannot have both programs active at the same time even if you qualify for both programs.



Program Overview – Resettlement Program Overview

Who is an Asylee – Who is an Asylee?

Who is a CHE – Who is a CHE?

Who is a Refugee – Who is a Refugee?

Who is a Special visa holder (SIV) from Afghanistan or Iraq – Who is a Special Immigrant Visa Holder (Afghanistan & Iraq)?

Additional Resources

Who is a survivor of Torture – Who is a Survivor of Torture?

Who is a victim of Trafficking – Who is a Victim of Trafficking?

Benefits for UHP – Benefits for Ukrainian Humanitarian Parolees

Required documents by legal status – Status & Documentation Requirements

Interfaith-RISE is a program of the Reformed Church of Highland Park Affordable Housing corporation, a non-profit, 501(c)3 organization that provides affordable housing, supportive services, and connection to meaningful community to low-income individuals and families in central New Jersey. All RCHP-AHC projects are non-discriminatory and are open to the public. Learn more at

Office Locations

Highland Park Office:
19 S. 2nd Ave
Highland Park, NJ 08904

I-RISE South Office:

2384 E. Landis Ave
Vineland, NJ 08361